Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
Step Two is about open-mindedness, change and hope. We consider trusting a power greater than ourselves, (and greater than our obsession with marijuana), that can help us deal with everyday life. We define insanity as repeating the same behaviors over and over again, while expecting different results.
It is not necessary to acquire a major God Consciousness to be able to cease using. All we need is to maintain an open mind and a hopeful heart. Higher Power means different things to different people. There is room in Marijuana Anonymous for all beliefs, or none. Each of us finds a Power that works for us. Some of us draw strength and support from the fellowship. We begin to see that a power greater than ourselves could do for us what we could never do alone.
- Read Step Two in LIFE WITH HOPE.
- Review Step Two with your sponsor, or a trusted member of MA.
- Look up the words believe, restore, and sanity in the dictionary and then write what the words mean to you.
- What does a Higher Power mean to you?
The following questions are categorized for your convenience.
Recall Experiences Of Insanity:
- Give some examples of repeating the same behaviors over and over again and expecting different results.
- Do I have thoughts of using again someday, even though I need or wish to stop using? Explain.
Examine Beliefs Of A Power Greater Than Ourselves:
- What is my concept of a Power greater than myself?
- Can I become open-minded to a new concept of a Power that works for me?
- How can I focus on using a Higher Power to benefit my recovery?
- Has a lack of open-mindedness contributed to my reaching a bottom?
- Am I ready to accept and/or choose a power greater than myself that is positive, powerful and with which I am comfortable?
- Do I believe a Higher Power can do for me what I could not do alone?
Discuss your answers with your sponsor, or a trusted fellow MA member.
Welcome to STEP THREE . . .