Meditation can develop our coping skills and increase our serenity. Many MA members have found meditation to be an important part of their recovery.
It does a better job of calming us down than any substance we can put in our bodies. It can reduce stress and promote peace of mind. It can relax us and is good for the body as well as the soul.
Meditation allows us to access our inner quiet selves. We can, with this tool, improve our conscious contact with our Higher Power.
How do I meditate?
There are many different ways to meditate. You cannot do it wrong. Here are some suggestions:
- Find a quiet space. Anywhere will work.
- Sit comfortably, so you can be still.
- Notice your breath as you inhale and exhale.
- As thoughts come up, notice them. You do not have to follow them. Let them pass, like clouds in the sky.
- If you get distracted, simply return your focus to your breath.
- You can do this for as long as you like, whenever you want.
Meditation and Step 11
- As stated in Life with Hope, "Step Eleven gives us the emotional sobriety to practice the principles of our program in all aspects of our lives."
- It has been said that if prayer is talking to our higher power, meditation is listening to our higher power.
- When we quiet our minds and learn to listen, we are better able to be of service to ourselves and others.
Progress, Not Perfection
From p. 60 of Life with Hope:
...we almost all go through times during which we simply cannot, or will not, pray or meditate (for whatever reason). They are usually quite short in duration, and we do not criticize ourselves for such lapses when they happen, We simply resume as soon as we can. We are human; we are not perfect. We adhere to the twelve-step concept of spiritual progress, not perfection.
Meditation is a personal practice, but it does not have to be a solitary one.
- There are countless meditation resources available, many of them for free, and we encourage you to explore them. There are meditation classes and retreats, and even Step 11 meetings.
- Talking with MA members about how meditation helps their recovery may inspire you.
Conference Approved Literature
© 2013 Marijuana Anonymous. All Rights Reserved.